What is a DS01 form?

company dissolutionThe DS01 is a Companies House form which is used to apply for the voluntary strike off of a company. The form must be signed by a majority of the company’s directors and can be submitted online or by post.

Once the form has been submitted, Companies House will publish a notice in the London Gazette which gives the public four weeks to object to the strike off. If there are no objections, the company will be struck off the register and dissolved.

The DS01 form is simple to fill out and can be completed in just a few minutes. However, it is important to make sure that all of the information on the form is accurate as any errors could delay the process or result in the form being rejected.

How Do I Get a DS01 Form?

You can get a DS01 Form from Companies House, they are the UK’s registration authority for companies. They are responsible for incorporating and dissolving limited companies, examining and storing company information delivered under the Companies Act, and making this information available to the public.

If you want to apply to have your company struck off the Companies House register, you will need to complete a DS01 form. This form is also known as a ‘Strike off Form’. Companies House will use the information on this form to process your application. The DS01 form is available on Companies House website.

You will need to provide your company name, registered office address and company number. You will also need to declare that all resolutions required by the Companies Act have been passed in order to dissolve the company, and that there are no creditors who could be adversely affected by the dissolution of the company.

Once you have completed the form, you can submit it online or by post. Companies House will then review your application and, if they are satisfied that everything is in order, they will strike your company off the register. The striking off process usually takes around 4-6 weeks. You will receive a certificate of dissolution once the process has been completed.

Completing form DS01

Companies House is responsible for the administration and regulation of companies in the UK. One of the services they offer is the ability to strike a company off the register, which effectively dissolves the company. This can be done by completing a DS01 form, which can be obtained from Companies House or completed online. Once the form has been submitted, Companies House will place a notice in the Gazette so that creditors can object to the strike-off if they are owed money by the company.

This form must be signed by a majority of a company’s directors, and you should deal with any assets of the company before applying (i.e., close bank accounts and transfer domain names).

You’ll need to include the following information in the form:

  • Company number.
  • Full name of the company.
  • Signature of the director(s) (if there are more than two directors, a majority will need to sign).
  • Details of the person to contact if Companies House has any queries.

If a creditor does claim a legitimate debt, the business will be reinstated to the register. Therefore, it is important to consider whether or not there are any outstanding debts before applying to have a company struck off, as you could be accused of misconduct if you attempt to close your business down when it owes money.

Do resigned directors need to sign a DS01 form

Resigned directors do not need to sign a DS01 Form, only serving officers need to complete the form.

How Much Does a DS01 Form Cost?

Form DS01 costs £10.00, this fee also covers the fee for the company dissolution is £10, it should be paid by a postal order or cheque.

You should be aware that you can’t pay using a cheque from an account that belongs to the company if you are planning to use the strike off procedure.

Can form DS01 be filed online?

Form DS01 cannot be filed online, you will need to return the completed form with the payment of £10,00 to Companies House at one of the addresses below. 

Where do I send the form and cheque to?

If you’ve opted for the offline version a cheque and the completed form DS01 should be sent to

  • Companies House, Crown Way, Cardiff CF14 3UZ – for English and Welsh companies
  • Companies House 4th Floor Edinburgh Quay 2, 139 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh EH3 9FF – for Scottish companies
  • Companies House 2nd Floor The Linenhall, 32-38 Linenhall Street, Belfast BT2 8BG – for Northern Ireland companies

Steve Jones Profile
Insolvency & Restructuring Expert at Business Insolvency Helpline

With over three decades of experience in the business and turnaround sector, Steve Jones is one of the founders of Business Insolvency Helpline. With specialist knowledge of Insolvency, Liquidations, Administration, Pre-packs, CVA, MVL, Restructuring Advice and Company investment.